Skip to main content

One word: Strength

She is strict and disciplined.  Absolutely not soft spoken and can become angry easily.  If something is not right in her eyes, she sure will tell (no, nag) you about it in a forceful voice and sometimes hurtful words.

In my younger years, I had moments where I despised her very much.  When instead of embracing me for making it thru the running mad dogs, she made a gripo (faucet) out of my ribs by a full three-sixty-degree pinch.  I could not, for the life of me, understand why I got punished instead of gotten a hug.

You see, she is some woman.  She’s often misunderstood.  She doesn't wear her heart on her sleeve, not the affectionate and touchy one.  Yet… she is strong... and brave.  Her way of nurturing is unconventional, not much cuddling for you, you must learn how to stand on your own.  She makes me do things independently and courageously.  I am forever in awe of how she instills self-sufficiency and resiliency in me.  I am forever thankful for how she shapes the person that I am.  I would never ask the universe for some other way around.

Her love is unconditional and trusting.  I can be who I want to be because she lets me be.

She is "strength".  She is my mother.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cats and dogs

Cats and dogs outside, Lil ants and rats inside; I lay here hugging my pillow tight, As I think of you tonight. Can this rain course my thoughts to you, And make you think of me too. These cats and dogs will be over soon, And these thoughts of you will just be written in the moon.

I will sit anywhere and listen to your stories

I will sit with you in the bar with a bottle of frozen cold beer in our hands. We will talk amidst the buzz and haze, eye to eye, lips to ear, lips to lips. We will get drunk. We will let ourselves get lost in dizziness and rubbish talks. I will listen to all of your drunken stories. You will laugh at it, laugh out loud for no apparent reasons. And I will listen to your stories. I will sit with you in the beach with a glass of thirst-quenching smoothie in our hands. We will talk amidst the heat and sweat, eye to eye, lips to ear, lips to lips. We will plunge into the sea. We will let the saltwater heals the wounds of our skin and soul. I will listen to all of your past heartaches. You will laugh at it, marveling how time indeed heals. And I will listen to your stories. I will sit with you in the porch with a cup of coffee in our hands. We will talk amidst the breeze and the chirps of the birds, eye to eye, lips to ear, lips to lips. We will relax our shoulders, close

"The Tomato Syndrome"

Below is my Basic Speech Project #1 piece. I opted to remove personal facts though. :) “Decide that you want it more than you’re afraid of it”, a line that has been my mantra these days. I believe most of us have some things that we fear of, right? Me, I’m afraid to talk or speak in front of an audience. Audience, guests, fellow toastmasters, ladies and gentlemen, good evening! Speaking in front of many people has always been a dreadful situation for me. This is because of some physical effect. I call it “the tomato syndrome”. This is a self-diagnosed condition wherein when I am tense, my body temperature will rise. If I touch my skin, I could feel the hot flashes as if I’m burning. I will have rashes all over my body, especially on my face. And I will look like an almost rotten tomato. I will have this some sort of allergic reaction when I get nervous. So I stay away from situations that would make me nervous. I excuse myself from spotlights, stage talks like this